Thursday, February 19, 2015

What Impact Has Derby Had on Your Life?

Derby- we all love it. But what has been done for you?

When I first started derby, I was going through a rough break up of 3 years, 1 year out of high school and living on my own. I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted out of life, or what I was doing with my life. Of course I had my drinking buddies, but only a few really close friends. My cousin invited me to watch her team and I fell in love. I started practice with them the next week. At first I was in it for the cool out-fits and hype of being on a derby team. But as my skills advanced I realized derby wasn't about the clothes. It's a sisterhood. The friends I have made in my derby career are some of the best ones I have ever had. Not just my teammates but skaters from other teams. It's like a big family. Derby has helped me realize who I am as a person. It has shown my strengths and weaknesses. Derby has taught me it's OK to be weird or different. Skaters come from all walks of life and that is OK. Your skates don't care what you look like or what you did that day- and neither does derby. There is no judging in derby. Everyone in derby is there for derby.
The popular phrase is "Derby Saved My Soul" or "Derby Saved My Life" and in the beginning I never really understood that. Now I do. Without derby I have no idea what I would be doing with my time. I am so grateful that I was introduced to this sport and the wonderful people in it. I have only been in the derby community for 3 years but I have loved every second and would not change it for the world. I am looking forward to the many years that will come.

~Thump-Her

No comments:

Post a Comment