Thursday, March 12, 2015

Derby Confessions

I did a anonymous Google Doc and put it out in the derby world for those who have confessions- lets face it, we all do. Some days just suck. Below you will read real confessions from real derby girls. This was not to pick arguments, it was to see how real people feel about the sport. I know I have a hard time exposing my true feelings about something when I know my name is attached to things. But I really enjoyed these. I didn't post them all but here is a few. I always like to see how other people think or feel about things, it kinda gives me a different mind set. 
  • I enjoy silently farting on the track and subjecting my teammates to repeatedly skate through it during pack drills.
  • Always commando! ;)
  • I have a huge crush on a teammate and we are getting closer and closer and now I can't tell her because I don't want to mess with the team dynamics.
  • I hate people who date teammates - once there's a split we either LOSE a teammate or have to choose sides
  • I feel guilty for not putting in enough effort to maintain friendships with retired teammates.
  • It bugs me when people bring their kids to practice
  • I don't hit some teammates as hard as others because their whining shuts the whole practice down for way too long.
  • I need to get away from my husband and kids a few times a week so that is enough of a payout for me lol.
  • When skaters retire, but then decide to come back the following season (after a retirement ceremony was given). Retire, or take an LOA (Leave of absence) if you don't want to or aren't sure.  I think it messes with the dynamics of the team structure.
  • I try to give my 100% at practice but I always feel like I'm letting down the other girls. I never feel like I'm good enough, I know I'm constantly learning and getting better but I always feel like I'm letting my team down.
  • I dislike men's derby.  I don't like watching it, and I feel like it takes away from it being a "women's sport".  But I don't tell anyone because I want to get over being "shallow" for feeling this way.
  • For me it's a female empowerment/entitlement thing.  Men have football, baseball, hockey, etc which are all really popular for them as having the "equipment" between their legs.  Women's football (unless you count the lingerie leagues), hockey leagues, etc. aren't as publicized or popular as men's.  Why can't women have something that's solely popular for women and be more popular than a men's sport without men coming in and wanting the same recognition? I'm just ready for a women's sport to take over and be women's thing without sub-cumming to the overshadow of men in sports.  
  • I rarely wash my mouthguard.
  • Being a big hitter is hard. You are hard to take down and always manage to wipe people out, but you always wonder if people think you are a dick. I'm totally not a dick.
  • I HATE when teams borrow skaters for competitive play.  I think it's really stupid when teams feel as though they have to borrow skaters to scrimmage with another team, when said scrimmage is only a "practice".  I mean seriously, you have to borrow skaters and stack your roster to practice with us?  Why not have pride in your team and play your skaters?! I'm competitive in playing other teams,especially when the numbers are there for said team to play.  I think it's a form of cheating to bench your team and bring in the best from other teams to play on your roster.  It's lame and I hate playing teams who do this.
  • I never think I am good enough. And am horrible at taking compliments.
  • I hate when a teammate complains about sucking, when she never comes to practice. Then expects to be but in several lines.
  • I don't like being a skater-coach because team doesn't treat me like a team member.

~Thumpy

No comments:

Post a Comment