Thursday, March 12, 2015

Toe Stop Slowing You Down

      So we all hate when our toe stops fall out. Maybe I am a little behind, maybe some one has already figured this out. But I am going to just put it out there. 

      Being fed up with my stupid toe stops I began to ponder on how to fix the issue. Last Friday night I was at the bar talking with a local farmer (family friend) explaining the issue that the toe stop was coming out of the plate. He wanted a visual so I ran to my car and got my skate. We looked over the skate. Thought about the possible ways to fix it, but none really seemed like it would do the job. I went to the local hardware store and browsed the nuts & bolts isle trying to think of something. And then it hit me like a brick wall. A lock washer. So simple. I don't know when I didn't think of this before! So I took off the old washer and simply replaced it with the lock washer. Here is a little bit more in detail about it off of Wikipedia "split washer or a spring lock washer is a ring split at one point and bent into a helical shape. This causes the washer to exert a spring force between the fastener's head and the substrate, which maintains the washer hard against the substrate and the bolt thread hard against the nut or substrate thread, creating more friction and resistance to rotation." 
      Last night I put it to the test when we were scrimmaging. We all know we scrimmaged for what maybe like 2 hours (at least it seemed like it) I NEVER once had to tighten my toe stop, it never once came lose. It was the greatest feeling ever. Normally I would fight with the stupid thing after every jam. 
      Like I said, maybe some one has already figured this one out but I am just discovering it. It may just be one of the best things since sliced bread at this point! 
<<Lock washer before it has been tightened down on your skate. 
<< This is what it looks like on my skate! 

Do you do something different to keep your toe stops in? 

~Thumpy 







No comments:

Post a Comment