Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Bearing Maintance

So your bearings are getting a little dirty are they? Well fear nothing. This is a quick but great way to get the dirty deed done & of course my ways aren't always the best/faster/first choice but they get the job done and that is all that matters. With derby its always trial and error until you find something that you like and will work for you. So with out further a due lets get cleaning!! 

Step 1: 
Here are the things that you will need: 
-Bearings
-Bearing Puller (or how ever you get them out)
-Choice of Cleaner (I have used Break Cleaner and Rubbing Alcohol 91%)
-Lube 
-Compressed Air
-Bowl or Something to soak them in


Step 2:
If you are using Rubbing Alochol you will either want to make something like this or get a bowl that they can soak in. What I am using here is a Bonez Bearing Cleaning Unit (click on link) This thing is pretty handy, but I really only found it usefull  for sealed bearings. You place bearings on the rod, then use the spacers until full. Put the ending on tight. 

Step 3:
Then you can screw on the cap and begin to shake them babies up. I would only fill this bottle about 1/3 of the way full. Don't want it over full. When I used this product I found that you should place the bearings ball side up; but also that this was not a very good way to clean anything there than sealed bearings. I found that using break cleaner did a better job. 

Step 4:
If you need to pop off the cap to clean underneath you can use a knife or anything you can wedge under it. But be careful that you don't damage the cap. 

Step 5:
You can now use the break cleaner to clean your bearings. This stuff comes out pretty fast let me tell you. I got this stuff from Wal-Mart. I believe this can cost me about $2.44ish (don't quote me on this) Just spray until it looks clean. This stuff will eat all the scum right away. 

Step 6:
Before you put the cap back on you need to make sure that it is dry in there other wise you will see it rust right before your eyes. So with the break cleaner it dries on its own for the most part; but I used this compressed air (also got at Wal-Mart about $4.25 found in electronics) I just sprayed it to make sure it was dried thoroughly.

Step 7:
Lube it up!! You don't want to just put these in your wheels or put them away with out any lube. That is just rude! Just a drop or two and you should be good to go! 




Step 8:
Place between your fingers and spin. If it spins freely you are good to go, if not you should add some more lube. If it is still not spinning freely take the cap off and see if you got all of the junk out of there and then repeat the lubing steps. 

Step 9:
You can either put them in storage. Old med bottles make great containers, or put them back in your wheels!! 

Happy Cleaning!! 
If you have a better way please let me know!!

~Thumpy

No comments:

Post a Comment