Sunday, May 11, 2014

Bout Day Prep

So since I have been with OCCRG We have had 3 bouts. We have lost all three, BUT have made awesome improvement and I am so proud of my team. But what do you do the day of a bout? Or even the week before? Well for me I treat it like any other sport I have participated in. 

The week of a bout I do not drink and TRY to make healthy choices. Trying to eat a salad instead of a cheeseburger. Small things like that. I really focus on drinking LOTS of water and cut back on soda. 

The day of a bout is a bit more serous. One I get about 20 minutes from the venue I start to think about what I need to do. How much time I get to spend on each task. Once I walk into a venue I put my game face on and it's all business. Depending on the time. I may lighten up a bit and have some fun. You can't always be serious. It is just derby my friends. 

While warming up with the team I keep my iPod on play but only using one ear piece so I know what is going on. When that is done it's usually time to gear up. Both ear buds are in and it's time to jam. While gearing up I go over things that I myself want to focus on, weather its a tight wall, or working on truck and trailer. Once I am geared up I hit the track. 

When I first get on the track I take 2-3 fast laps. Then I tone it down a bit but going over the taped rope both inside and outside. I do some tomahawks, I do them slow at first depending on the floor. Then I like to do a lot of plow stops, epically if the floor is different then what I am used to. I just do all sorts of small drills I can do on my own. I mentally prepare myself for what to expect. At this time its usually time to do some drills with my team. once that is completed, I take my iPod and ear buds back to the locker room. Take one deep breath, and head back out. 

There are lots of different ways to prepare for a bout. Some more serious than others. I just try to zone out and remember what all of my jobs are. After being in sports for 12+ years I still get nervous on game day. Its going to happen, its totally normal. If I don't get nervous then I know I am not ready to play.  

What do you do; to prepare for a bout? 

~Thump-Her

No comments:

Post a Comment